Expert Steps to Prepare Your Space for a Beg Bug Pest Control
Any homeowner who has endured the unpleasant experience of dealing with bed bugs will know that a host of DIY treatments don’t really do the job of making them leave. Most bed bug infestations will require the professional services of a certified pest control company.
That being said, there’s a lot that you can do to prepare your home or business for a bed bug treatment. Meeting the pest controller halfway usually ensures that the treatment provided will be more effective and potentially last longer. Read on as we give you a few expert tips on how to get rid of bed bugs in your home or office space.
How Do Bed Bugs Get Into Your Home?
Exterminating bed bugs involves having a clearer idea of what caused them to show up in the first place. In short, bed bugs don’t crawl into your home like most other pests. In fact, they’re almost always carried into your environment.
As avid travellers, their preferred method of transport is hitching rides on suitcases, luggage, backpacks, and other forms of baggage. In some instances, they might even catch a ride on jackets, shoes and clothing that came into contact with a surface they were living on.
Once these nasty critters move into your space they start a horrendous infestation that extends from your beds to sofas and even walls, carpets and floors. Ultimately, they’ll take over space in your entire home or office space.
Where Do Bed Bugs Live?
Contrary to their names, bed bugs don’t only live in beds. Since they’re incredibly small, it’s very easy for them to live in the most unusual and unexpected places, including:
- Beds (still their favourite place)
- Behind loose wallpaper
- Behind baseboards
- Inside small electronics
How Will You Know You Have Bed Bugs?
If you suspect bed bugs have possibly moved into parts of your home, there are a few signs that you can look out for. Despite being very small, bed bugs leave noticeable signs of their presence, such as:
- Look out for tiny reddish-brown flat, oval-shaped insects.
- Small dark spots (droppings) on your bed, curtains, sofas or your electronics.
- Tiny, red blood stains that happen as the bugs are squashed when people sit or lie on them.
- Eggs or eggshells as well as small yellow skins that have been shed by nymphs.
- Unexplainable red, itchy bumps on people or pets – these bumps usually have a darker centre and lighter swollen outer area.
What Should You Do If You Have Bed Bugs?
Your first instinct might be to call a pest control company to deal with the problem, and you’d be smart doing so! Bed bugs are extremely difficult to find and kill with conventional DIY methods. While you might see a few in a particular place, such as your sofa, it will be difficult to find their nest as well as other places where they may be living.
How Do You Prepare Your Home for Pest Control Service?
Once you’ve identified that you might be dealing with a bed bug problem, it’s important to prepare your home for the Dawson’s Pest Control experts to perform the eradication process. Some of the pointers we’d appreciate you doing include the following:
- All bed linen, curtains and clothing must be removed from the infested areas. It is essential to handle all such items as infectious; they must be bagged (and sealed) before removal from the room and labelled as being infested with bed bugs. They should then be washed in the hottest water possible (>55o C) and/or dried in a hot air clothes drier for at least 30 minutes.
- All wardrobes, drawers and cupboards must be emptied and the contents treated as above. After clothing and materials have received the heat treatment, these should not be returned to wardrobes but kept sealed in plastic bags away from the infestation until eliminated
- Prior to treatment, the client is advised to cover up any fish tanks or preferably remove them from the room to be treated.
- All people and pets must vacate the premises.
How Do You Contact An Expert?
Simply visit our website or contact us on 03 9222 2266 for a QUOTE. The experts at Dawson’s have years of experience and are highly skilled in eradicating bed bugs from homes and office spaces. Don’t let these nasty little critters take over your space. Call us today and let us get on top of your bed bug situation before it gets out of hand!